July is the time when Shropshire’s Stiperstones hills turn purple, transformed by the flowering of the heather which dominates this upland heathland. Confined mainly to the western coast of Europe, upland heathlands are a very important habitat in the UK. …
Related content and links
Stories and updates from Natural England
We’re the government’s adviser for the natural environment, helping to protect England’s nature and landscapes for people to enjoy.
This blog gives an insight into our work.
- The Environment Act 2021 – a turning point for Nature 23 November 2021
- Rewilding the Marches Mosses – Britain’s third largest raised bog 25 October 2021
- The Story of the Cotswold Water Park SSSI 30 September 2021
- Biodiversity Net Gain – more than just a number 21 September 2021
- Restoration Grants awarded to restore thousands of hectares of peatland 17 September 2021